Sentinel-2 - Missions - Sentinel Online
The Copernicus Sentinel-2 mission comprises a constellation of two polar-orbiting satellites placed in the same sun-synchronous orbit, phased at 180° to each other. It aims at monitoring variability in land surface conditions, and its wide swath width (290 km) and high revisit time (10 days at the equator with one satellite, and 5 days with 2 satellites under cloud-free conditions which results in 2-3 days at mid-latitudes) will support monitoring of Earth's surface changes.
For mission planning and updated coverage status information, see the Revisit and Coverage page.
This Sentinel-2 Mission Guide provides a high-level description of the mission objectives, satellite description and ground segment. It also addresses the related heritage missions, thematic areas and Copernicus services, orbit characteristics and coverage, instrument payload, and data products.
The Mission Guide categories are:
Describes primary and secondary objectives of the Copernicus Sentinel-2 mission.
Describes the satellite platform and the communication links, the main instrument of the Sentinel-2 mission, the MultiSpectral Instrument (MSI), as well as the orbit characteristics of the mission.
Outlines the Level-1B, Level-1C and Level-2A data products that are available to users, including the Level-1C tiling grid.
To celebrate the recent five year anniversary of Copernicus Sentinel-2 - with the launch of Sentinel-2A on 23 June 2015 - we produced a special infographic on the mission. The infographic highlights important facts and achievements of the mission after its first five years of operations.
- Copernicus Sentinel-2 production issue - 23rd February
- Temporary unavailability of Copernicus Sentinel-2 production - 22nd February
- Copernicus Sentinel-2A production issue on 11 February
- Temporary unavailability of Copernicus Sentinel-2 production on 9 February
- Temporary unavailability of Copernicus Sentinel-2 production on 17 January
- Open Access Hub infrastructure maintenance activities 11 January 2021