Sentinel-3 SLSTR FRP Processing - Technical Guides - Sentinel Online
The Fire Radiative Power (FRP) processing module is an independent processor starting from SLSTR L1b products.
The first step is the common processing described in the Derivation Pixel-by-Pixel Module. This step enables in particular the projection of SWIR measurements on the 1 km grid.
Then the FRP processing is divided into 3 steps:
- A global fire detection step: based on spatial and spectral thresholding tests, pixels potentially associated to a fire are identified;
- A fire confirmation step: for each fire pixel selected in the previous step, the actual presence of a fire is confirmed using statistical information regarding the background window and comparing these numbers to the potential fire.
- A fire characterization step: when a fire is confirmed, a series of fire properties are calculated such as FRP, uncertainty, confidence, classification ....
The FRP processing uses two types of radiometric measurements:
- S7 and F1 thermal channels mainly for land fires
- S6 SWIR channel mainly for detecting gas flares