The SENTINEL-2 Technical Guide provides an in-depth description of the mission's products and algorithms as well as details on the MultiSpectral Instrument (MSI) and its performance.
Before reading the Technical Guide, Users are advised to read the SENTINEL-2 User Guide for a high level description of available instrument modes and products.
The categories are:
- MSI Instrument
Gives a description of the spectral bands, instrument design and detector configuration
- Products and Algorithms
Provides an overview of the Processing Levels (L0, L-1A, L1B, L-1C and L2A) generated by the SENTINEL-2 ESA Copernicus Ground Segment
- Processing Baseline
Provides an overview of the introduction of new product features or processing steps over the Mission lifetime
- Calibration and Validation
Calibration and Validation (Cal/Val) are vital processes in the quality control of generated products, and ensure that the processed data are meaningful to scientific Users. For the sake of completeness, we recall here the calibration and validation activities as defined by the CEOS Working Group on Cal/Val (WGCV).
- the process of quantitatively defining the system responses to known, controlled signal inputs.
- operation that, under specified conditions, in a first step, establishes a relation between the quantity values with measurement uncertainties provided by measurement standards and corresponding indications with associated measurement uncertainties and, in a second step, uses this information to establish a relation for obtaining a measurement result from an indication.
- the process of assessing, by independent means, the quality of the data products derived from the system outputs
- verification, where the specified requirements are adequate for an intended use
- confirmation, through the provision of objective evidence, that the requirements for a specific intended use or application have been fulfilled
- the process of assessing, by independent means, the degree of correspondence between the value of the radiometric quantity derived from the output signal of a calibrated radiometric device and the actual value of this quantity.
- confirmation by examination and provision of objective evidence that specifications conform to user needs and intended uses, and that the particular requirements implemented through software can be consistently fulfilled
Identifies the radiometric and geometric image quality requirements of SENTINEL-2 products.
- Data Product Quality Reports
The Optical Mission Performance Cluster (OPT-MPC) provides a monthly status of the SENTINEL-2 L1C and L2A product quality via the dissemination of a Data Quality Report (DQR). These reports provide information on the monitoring and measurement of product performances against the proposed specification. It also documents observed anomalies and known issues, the list of defective pixels, and any processing chain improvements that lead to an increment of the Processing Baseline.
- POD Instruments and Products
Provides an overview of the Copernicus Precise Orbit Determination Service in charge of the provision of Precise Orbital Products and auxiliary data files to the Ground Segment
Provides acronyms, glossary and references
- Copernicus Sentinel-2 Collection-1 Availability Status
Provides an overview on the Copernicus Sentinel-2 Collection-1