Calibration and Validation Activities - Sentinel-5P Technical Guide - Sentinel Online
Cal/Val Activities - Overview
Sentinel-5P Cal/Val activities are essential to the quality of the mission. Data quality is assessed through determination of the radiometric, spatial, spectral and geometric fidelity of the satellite sensor and the accuracy of geophysical products.
- Calibration: calibration approach information and links to web portals used to monitor the Sentinel-5P calibration are available here.
- Validation: Information on Validation approach is available, as well as Sentinel-5P geophysical validation reports, which are contained in the Mission Performance Centre Validation Data Analysis Facility (VDAF) website.
In addition, and before given products are released to the user community, validation workshops are held with the aim of presenting Calibration/Validation (Cal/Val) results on those S5p products. These results are used to assess the uncertainty of the target S5p products and to decide about their release to the public. The workshops that have been held so far are:
- S5p First products release workshop (physical meeting), 25-26 June 2018: aiming at presenting first Calibration/Validation (Cal/Val) results for Level 1b products and a subset of the Level 2 products (Total Columns of Ozone, Nitrogen Dioxide and Carbon Monoxide; Cloud & Aerosol information).
- S5p Second products release workshop (teleconference), 28 September 2018: aiming at presenting first Calibration/Validation (Cal/Val) results for Total Columns of Ozone – OFFL, Tropospheric Ozone - OFFL, Formaldehyde and Sulphur Dioxide – NRT & OFFL.
- S5p Third products release workshop (teleconference), 20 February 2019: aiming at presenting Calibration/Validation (Cal/Val) results for Total Columns of Ozone – OFFL and Methane - OFFL.