Level-2A Product Formatting - Sentinel-2 MSI Technical Guide - Sentinel Online
Level-2A Product Formatting
The Level-2A image data product uses the same tiling, encoding and filing structure as Level-1C.
The Level-2A product has a SAFE format. This groups together several types of file:
- metadata file (XML file)
- preview image (JPEG2000 with GML geo-location)
- tiles files with BOA reflectances image data file (GML / JPEG2000) for each tile
- datastrip files
- auxiliary data
- ancillary data (GIPPs, set of XML files).
Figure 1: Level-2A Product Physical Format
Each pixel value is encoded in 12 bits. The output data of product formatting from Level-2A scene classification are:
- a scene classification map at 60m resolution
- quality indicators for snow and cloud detection.
The output data of product formatting from Level-2A scene classification from Level-2A atmospheric correction are:
- Aerosol Optical Thickness (AOT) map
- water vapour map
- surface reflectance (BOA) cube (without cirrus band B10).