Thematic Areas and Services - Sentinel-5 - Sentinel Online
Thematic Areas and Services
As part of the Copernicus Space Component Programme the Sentinel-5 mission provides routine observations of a set of atmospheric constituents, addressing a variety of:
- environmental themes:
- routine analyses of air quality parameters through the measurement of the tropospheric concentration of molecules like NO2, SO2, CO, HCHO, O3, etc.,
- global monitoring of constituents relevant to climate forcing, i.e. greenhouse gases (CH4, H2O, ..), including their tracers and aerosols,
- monitoring of stratospheric ozone and surface UV radiation.
- applications and services:
- provision of services to operational weather forecast centres, and to the EC-funded Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS) which assimilates satellite remote sensing measurements of O3, NO2, etc.,
- monitoring volcanic eruption activities and provision of SO2 and volcanic ash aerosol information to the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centres (VAAC)
- determination of sources and sinks of atmospheric pollutants, thanks to global and regional high spatial resolution observations, is of primary interest for protocol verification and monitoring.
- issuing alerts in support of health services in case of poor of air quality forecasts.