The implementation of a collaborative ground segment with ESA member states is based on three main steps:
- Definition of process and collection of collaboration proposals.
- Requirements collection: release of questionnaire to ESA member states.
- Enables ESA to make a preliminary assessment of the planned initiatives.
- Proposal feasibility analysis.
- Execution of simulation scenarios, identification of potential conflicts.
- Proposal refinement with a collaborative partner.
- Formalisation of collaboration.
- Documenting the technical operational interfaces.
- Integrating, verifying and validating the derived implementation.
- Signing a formal agreement (exchange of letters based on PBEO framework paper).
The interface to EU (non-ESA) member states and international cooperation partners is led by the EU in close coordination with ESA for technical aspects. In these cases, for technical matters, a similar process (as with ESA member states) is planned.
- Collection of collaboration proposals and requirements.
- Proposal technical feasibility analysis.
- Implementation of collaborative interfaces.
- International agreement to be formalised via EU/ESA jointly.
The collaborative ground segment activity types are similar to those with ESA member states with special focus on:
- access to Sentinel data
- set up of mirror sites for redistribution of Sentinel core data
- complementary external support validation activities.