Payload Data Ground Segment - Sentinel-5P - Sentinel Online
Payload Data Ground Segment (PDGS)
The Payload Data Ground Segment (PDGS) is responsible for exploitation of instrument data: generation, archiving and dissemination of Level-1B and Level-2 products to the user community. The PDGS is operated from DLR, the German Aerospace Center, in Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany.
The main tasks performed by the PDGS are:
- The reception of the S/X-band acquisition timeline from the FOS and planning of the S/X-band downlink.
- The acquisition of the instrument measurement data and the recorded satellite housekeeping telemetry data from the S/X-band ground station and the ingestion of the data into the processing chain.
- The systematic and data driven provision of received S-band telemetry to the FOS.
- The systematic and data driven generation of Level-0, Level-1 and Level-2 science products in NRT and offline (see Data Products section).
- The on-request re-processing of science data if needed.
- The archiving of all products and associated auxiliary data.
- The provision of access to Sentinel-5P products from the PDGS archive to Sentinel-5P end users.
- The interface to external auxiliary data providers for the reception of data required to generate the Sentinel-5P products.
- Interfacing to the multi mission Copernicus facilities to ensure coherency of user services between the Sentinel missions.
Sentinel-5P/TROPOMI products are provided to the user through online access.
Figure 1 shows a schematic of the PDGS functionalities and its interfaces with the other facilities of the core ground segment.
Figure 1: PDGS schematic (Credit: ESA). Click on the image to enlarge.