Copernicus Sentinel-5P data products
The TROPOMI instrument onboard Sentinel-5 Precursor is a nadir-viewing, imaging spectrometer covering wavelength bands between the ultraviolet and the shortwave infrared. The instrument uses passive remote sensing techniques to attain its objective by measuring, at the Top Of Atmosphere (TOA), the solar radiation reflected by and radiated from the earth.
TROPOMI aerosol index is referred to as the Ultraviolet Aerosol Index (UVAI). The relatively simple calculation of the Aerosol Index is based on wavelength dependent changes in Rayleigh scattering in the UV spectral range where ozone absorption is very small. UVAI can also be calculated in the presence of clouds so that daily, global coverage is possible. This is ideal for tracking the evolution of episodic aerosol plumes from dust outbreaks, volcanic ash, and biomass burning.
|Temporal coverage:||Since 28-Jun-2018|
|Spatial coverage:||~2600 km swath. Full daily surface coverage of radiance and reflectance measurements for latitudes > 7° and < -7°, and better than 95 % coverage for latitudes in the interval [-7°, 7°].|
3.5 x 7.0 Km (across x along track), at beginning of mission
3.5 x 5.5 Km (across x along track), since 6 August 2019
|Processor Version:||01.xx.xx, with x=any digit between 0 and 9|
How to access this data
Accessible via the Copernicus Open Access Hub.
- Technical Documentation on TROPOMI Aerosol Index Product:
- PUM-AI (Product User Information - information on the technical characteristics of the TROPOMI Aerosol Index products)
- ATBD-AI (Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document - detailed information on the retrieval algorithm of TROPOMI Aerosol Index products)
- IODD-NL (Input Output Data definition - description of the input and output data of the TROPOMI Aerosol Index product processing).
- PRF-AI (Product Readme File): description of changes between different product versions and overall quality information
Technical Documentation on other TROPOMI Level 1B and L2 Products:
Other Sentinel-5 Precursor/TROPOMI documents:
The Products and Algorithms page contain links to other S5P/TROPOMI datasets (click on the corresponding product type).
Data Citation Guidelines
Users, who, in their research, use ESA Earth Observation data that have been assigned a DOI, are asked to use it when citing the data source in their publications:Copernicus Sentinel-5P (processed by ESA), 2018, TROPOMI Level 2 Ultraviolet Aerosol Index products. Version 01. European Space Agency. https://doi.org/10.5270/S5P-0wafvaf